Monday, July 25, 2011

Things I Don't Care for Mondays


This will be a short rant, but on this particular Monday, it is something I don't care for.

I believe myself to be a religious person. I believe the Doctrines of the Roman Catholic faith and though I don't always make it to Church or treat others as I should, I believe.

I have also always felt that the Church could provide comfort and be a place for personal reflection, quiet personal time and pray. I have turned to the Church many times for this and that was my mission today.

With Jon starting the Bar Exam today, I decided that I would go to Church everyday, light candles and say prayers for him. I did that this past weekend at the Cathedral of St. Louis and I would do it this week at Holy Name of Jesus here in Uptown.

After my class, I ran over in the rain to the Church, only to find all the doors locked. Now, this is not the first time this has happened. This past Dio de los Muertos, when wanting to light candles in remembrance of my Grandpa, this happened. When I wanted to light candles during my finals week, it happened again.

Whats the deal? I thought Churches were suppose to be open to the public, a refuge for those lost or in need. How can a person get this help if the Church just locks itself up?

No I understand that at night, Churches should lock up. Many thefts have happened to Churches, my own back home was robbed one night and it was terrible. Yet during the day, I feel this is ridiculous to lock yourself up,only to open for Mass.

We as Catholics are always taught that God and the Catholic Church have arms wide open to accept all of us and let us find comfort. Well one can not do this in a sense if the Church locks the doors!

I know, I know what your thinking. Why do you have to have a Church? Well, if I want to light candles, I need one. I have been praying about Jon passing the Bar for a long time and I will continue to, but I truly felt that I would best be able to do this in the quiet home of God.

So on this Monday, I do not care much for Churches closing their doors to those wanting acceptance.

Image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment