Monday, July 18, 2011

Things I Don't Care For Mondays

So here is my second segment of Things I Don't Care for Mondays! Today, I don't care much for the mixture of rain and footwear.

Now, I live in New Orleans, I know rain. I get your whole life revolving around rain; from social plans to your wardrobe. Things I learned in New Orleans regarding the rain: you always have to carry an umbrella on you so you can never just carry a small purse during the day time, you have to choose very carefully when you wear white and the undergarments you wear underneath and you will always have to plan your outfit according to footwear.

Cute footwear for rain barely exists. There are always fun rain boots you can wear with different designs to match your personality, there are the stylish Hunter rain boots and always cowboy boots (frequently my choice) along with tennis shoes. These choices are all fine and dandy but they don't leave you many options.

First, if you have any type of boot, you probably only have it in one color, so your outfit must match. This obviously cuts down on your choices. Sometimes in New Orleans a boot is not enough because the rain will be too high and pour right through.

There are just certain times though that these forms of footwear can not be worn. You can't exactly wear leopard print plastic rain boots to work or your beat up old converse on a dinner date.

I have faced this problem for the whole time I lived in New Orleans and this weekend and today was no exception. While taking my friend out to dinner, I wanted to wear a cute little mini skirt and boots or flats just didn't look as good as sandals. Later the next day when walking around in the French Quarter, I wore a short black dress and brown fedora and bag. I sacrificed on this outfit and just wore my sandals, big mistake. The gross sidewalk of Bourbon and the rain soaked, puddle filled rest of the streets left my feet gross, wet and cold. Today for class, I had to plan a whole outfit around my old converse.

If there could be more stylish options for rainy footwear, trust me the women of New Orleans and other rainy areas would jump for joy and pull out their wallets. This is just a combo that I don't care for.

Image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment