I posted the other day that I had been reading No Impact Man for my Global Environment Class and I am just about to finish the book; post about that to come.
Since reading the book though, I have been thinking a lot about how my actions affect this world we got and what are my feelings on "environmentalists." Frankly, I always thought that there were little things we could all do to lessen or environmental footprint, but there were some things that I would just not budge on.
As it is, I don't have a car so I walk most places except when going somewhere with Jon or a friend every now and again. I buy environmentally helpful cleaning products and energy efficient light bulbs as well as keep my stylish blue tiled water cup everywhere with me. I buy some local products and am a huge advocate of farmer's markets. That just isn't enough though.
I have made some positive moves though in the past for days though that I am pretty proud of and even though they are tiny little aspects, I know that this little changes lead to bigger ones. So here are some of these changes!
Unplugging plugs not being used! I went all around my house and was shocked how many plugs were plugged in and how many were actually not even used! There were plugs plugged in some rooms that no one even went in! So I went around the whole house and just unplugged them. When I started thinking, I realized that it barely takes any energy to pick the plug up off the ground and only put it in for that use. Plus, it will so nice to save a few bucks on the bills!
Recycling registration! New Orleans has just gotten recycling back in certain areas and mine is one! It started in May, so I am sadly late in the game, and they will even deliver new baskets to residents. So today I signed up online with the city to start having recycling pick up at my house and a bin delivered soon! I know that this will make me feel better about the few plastic bottles I use but mostly the aluminum cans or glass bottles from Jon and I's...occasional...beer.
Farmer's Market Finds! I am on a serious mission to go to more farmer's markets! The products are all local so the food is better for you, the money goes back into the area, and you are eating like our ancestors did many years before us. Also, these markets are a great way to get involved into your community and meet new people. Even though my budget is incredibly thin currently, I am determined to make this a big part of my life.
I know these small changes don't seem like much but I truly think that this is just the beginning. Anything helps!
What are some things that you do to give back to Mother Earth?
Images found 1. 2. 3.

No comments:
Post a Comment