Monday, June 20, 2011

Love Pelicans


So Thursday night, a group of friends and I went to find our artistic side at Rembrandt All You Can Art in Metairie, Louisiana.

All over the United States, a new trend is popping up; drinking and painting. These two have been pairing up in artist's lives for years, many coming to be so dependent on each other like Toulouse- Lautrec and Jackson Pollock. These shops allow one to come in with a group of friends, paint and throw a few back. In our case, it was a few bottles.

There are two types of places though. Some have a specific painting of the night where everyone in the class learns how to create it and others all you to pick your own painting and try to master it. Everything is included, even ice and bottle openers.

While all of these workshops suggest wine, there is no specific drink designated. There were people with beer and koozies, daquiri's and whole coolers full of bottle after bottle; we went with champagne. One can even bring food or snacks for the group.

When picking my painting a few days before, I chose a pair of pelicans in the water floating called Pelicans Afloat. It was a level two painting and absolutely perfect for me. Pelicans are the state bird of Louisiana and therefore of course my darling Louisiana native boyfriend's favorite bird. I dubbed them Love Pelicans and took on the challenge.

This was such an amazingly fun night! My girl friends and I poured ourselves glass after glass in our plastic cups and went on to try our hand at painting a retro car, a crawfish pot with a newspaper background and sailboats in the water. The more we drank, the less we cared about little mistakes and the more excited we got about the future place for our canvas in our indvidual houses.

I could not be more happy with my painting, it was spectacular and I am still so proud of myself. My darling loved it and we can't wait to frame it in our future home.

I highly suggest anyone get together with a fun group of friends or a loved one and go to one of these workshops. While looking up the classes in another city for a friend, I simply typed up 'Painting and wine' in Google and found tons of workshops in different cities. Below are some links to some of the sites I found, happy painting!

http://www.rembrandtallyoucanart.com/

http://www.corksncanvas.com/

http://www.paintingwithatwist.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment