I must admit, I love tattoos.
There is a little piece of me that wishes I was brave enough to get more and more tattoos of simply beautiful things or pieces deeply sentimental.
Some of my favorite tattoos recently have been typography tattoos and literary tattoos. With words and books being incredibly fond friends, I would so love to have a tattoo of a line I adore or a picture from a book that I always hold with me.
After reading Watchmen this past semester as the culmination of my William Blake and Percy Shelley class, I was forever changed. This graphic novel really changed my life. With so many inspiring tales, epic examples of the human condition and extraordinary feats, spun together with words and pictures, I truly think a Watchmen tattoo would be fantastic.
One of my absolute favorite authors is William Blake. His words seem to blast through me and linger for days and I just cannot get enough. His is an amazing poet with wonderful words that I think would be so beautiful to have on you forever. "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom," is always a favorite line of mine.
As almost every teenage girl with an voracious literary appetite, Sylvia Plath spoke to me like no one else before. She felt everything I did but she know how to bring these emotions to the surface with eloquent words. I have heard of many getting little bell jar tattoos in honor of Plath but I feel this one above would be an obvious choice for me.
"Let the wild rumpus begin!" The characters and words of Where The Wild Things Are also live on in the skin of many. Little Max has been there for many their whole life as an example of bravery and the idea that magic can happen. I have seen a Max tattoo before that I absolutely adored! This is an endearing tattoo for an lover and follower of the book.
I don't know if another tattoo is in my future, but I know it will certainly be a literary one. What better way to always carry these wonderful friends and books with me?
Images 1. 2. 3. 4.
Omg I love these lit tattoos! They are way too cool. Plus, I love that you found a Watchmen one while we were reading it for Janelle :0)
ReplyDeleteI am so glad a fellow nerd loves these as mch as I do! I am thinking that my next is going to be a literary one; the first line of the first book I loved as a child that my mom read me every night.
ReplyDelete