This past Thursday Jon and I headed back to his hometown for a nice, fun filled long weekend with his family. It was so wonderful to get out of the city and in a family setting. I have always had a great love of New Orleans, but I certainly feel that it is a city that one must get out of every now and then to reappreciate all of the magic it holds. Plus I absolutely love Jon's family so it is always wonderful to get to visit with them.
We got in on Thursday night and immediately headed to Jon's all time favorite burger place, Judice Inn. After putting away so yummy burgers, we went back to his parent's house for a relaxing night.
Friday, we woke up early to travel to Maurice, Louisiana. Maurice is named after Jon's Great-Great-Grandfather Jean-Maurice Villien, who came from France to settle the small town. On this day, his old general store was being given a Historical Landmarker from the State by the Maurice Historical Society. There was a wonderful little ceremony with coffee, beignets and a Cajun band with the marker was dedicated and Jon's family recognized. I felt so honored that I could get to be there and share this with Jon.
After lunch with family, we went to our favorite antique store that we visit every time we come in. This store, with no name or sign, is our absolute favorite place to pick up unique finds and vintage pieces. This visit I got two darling gold rings with thick bands and a blue stone on one and a purple one on the other. I also found a really unique old Avon perfume bottle shaped like a gold clock or pocket watch. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw it and think it will look perfect in a bookcase full of Jon's lawbooks or fabled old tales.
Later that night we made it to Festival Acadiens, a great festival full of Cajun music, cold beer and delicious food. We spent the night listening to band after band under the stars and it was perfect.
Saturday was full of tailgating and football with for the University of Louisiana Lafayette Ragin' Cajuns. The Ragin' Cajuns are Jon's beloved hometown football team so I was so happy to get to go to my first game! We went from tent to tent getting nibbles of tailgating classics and cool beverages for the hot day. After a fun game against North Texas, the Ragin' Cajuns pulled through for a win making them bowl eligible! We headed to a great sports bar Pete's afterwards for some drinks, fried pickles and arcade games; such a excellent way to finish out a football filled day.
The Saints game took up Sunday and the rest of the relaxing weekend and we drove back on Monday. Little weekend trips like this are the perfect way to relax, get away but still not have to spend too much. Though the work piles up either way!



No comments:
Post a Comment